Wednesday 13 June 2012

Shower curtain world map for write-on prayers

I was thinking about how the children love using the globes and world map to pray for the world and wondering how I could make something big enough for everyone to use at the same time.


As I was walking round the pound shop I found a shower curtain and remembered the days of teaching when, if we wanted a really big image, we'd project it onto the wall with an overhead projector.


So..






I taped the shower curtain to the wall, made an OHP transparency of a world map outline and projected the map onto the curtain.  In hindsight it would have been much easier if I hadn't taped the quite thin curtain onto a wall with a mural on it.  It got quite confusing when trying to work out what was a line on the map and what was part of Noah's Ark underneath!


After about 20 minutes, I'd traced the outline onto the sheet with a permanent marker and it was much bigger than the biggest map we'd used for praying with up to now, though I am a little bit concerned that I might have invented a country or two along the way!  The laminated map is A3, which shows the proportions.  

I tested it out and you can write over the map using whiteboard markers and then rub them off with a damp cloth and the permanent marker stays! The children love using the graffiti board and now they have a massive version for their world prayers! Not only is it reusable, but it also folds down quite small after use.  On reflection I'd buy a slightly more expensive, sturdier curtain next time, but for a trial run, it's not bad!!


We're going to use this in the next few weeks to write our prayers for the world and for the coming of God's Kingdom.

2 comments:

  1. I just bought a shower curtain with the world map on it. Can't wait to use this idea! We are starting a church-wide series on prayer around the book The Circle Maker and I have pinned several of your prayer station ideas to use with our kids. Thanks so much for so many GREAT ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! Please let me know how it goes- it's great to keep in touch with people who are using the ideas :-) x

      Delete