Tuesday 20 March 2012

Telling Stories with Story Stones

I've recently come to hear about story stones and have become quite excited!  We're trying out different methods of story telling and I thought that we might try using some story stones, especially with our 3-5s.  The idea would be that we could tell the story using them and then, afterwards, let the children re- enact what they have heard if they choose to do so!

As per usual, once I get excited about something, I have to get started right away!  Last night I painted some stones and it literally took me about 10 minutes (using our favourite Giotto decor pens and a fineliner for detail!).  Here's what I came up with...

Healed Leper (reversible stone!)

Leper (reversible stone!)

Reversible stones- Calming of the storm

Reversible stones- calming of the storm

The lost sheep/ Good Shepherd

Feeding of the 5000


Can't wait to test them out next term!

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm new to your blog and am loving it!I haven't heard of story stones before- can you say more about how you use them? Thank you for all of your great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are really beautiful btw! I can't believe you made them so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Thanks!! I'm afraid I shamelessly pinched the idea after seeing this blog post

    http://paintontheceiling.blogspot.com.au/2011/10/how-to-make-and-play-with-story-stones.html

    The original idea seems to be that children use the various symbols of the stones to create and tell their own stories. I thought that it would be fun for us to have a set of 'bible story' images so we could tell the stories with the stones and then, in a free response time, allow the children to act out the story again on their own if they wanted to. It might also be interesting to see if they use the 'Jesus' stone to create stories based on what they know of His character!! I'm looking forward to testing them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Mina! Do you imagine using them while reading with scripture or retelling in your own words? I'll check out the link.
    I clicked on your other blog and see that you are quite an artist! No wonder these stones came together so quickly for you. I love them! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will probably tell story in own words with this particular group. Will let you know how it goes when we try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mina
    im just creating a set of these and wondered how it went when you used them
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Children liked them. They're easy to use in small groups and some children chose to play with them independently afterwards. I even had a conversation with a 4 year old about the leper stone and Jesus healing people when we hadn't even been doing that story but he'd found it and wanted to talk about it! X

      Delete