Thursday 19 January 2012

VAK

What kind of learner are you?  How do your children prefer to learn?  When I was teaching, I was fascinated by the concept of learning styles- the idea that different people naturally prefer to learn in different ways.  It really revolutionised how I taught and it's something we certainly need to take into account with the children in our church groups!  The basic VAK model is split into 3 learning styles:

Visual- preferring to learn by seeing and reading
Auditory- preferring to learn by speaking and listening
Kinaesthetic- preferring to learn by touching and doing

I realised that the reason I switch off in long sermons is because I am very visual, quite kinaesthetic and not very auditory at all.  If I'm listening I need to be doodling!  It made me see the behaviour of our children differently as well.  The child who's always fiddling might be very kinaesthetic and sitting listening for extended periods is not helpful to him!  In our teaching it's important to include something, somewhere, in each lesson that will appeal to each of the 3 styles so everyone gets a chance at engagement.

Here's a table of things that will appeal to each learning style:


Visual 
Auditory 
Kinaesthetic 
Pictures,
Maps, TV
Powerpoints
Watching
Drawing/ colouring
Imagining
Reading
Mind maps 
Discussing
Listening
Music/ songs
Film
Instructions
Repetition
Questions/ answers
Storytelling
Props
Crafts/ making
Drama
Drawing
Games
Model making
‘hands on’
Experiments
Movement


If you want to know more, you can take a VAK test at http://www.businessballs.com/vaklearningstylestest.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment